Thursday, June 6, 2024

Abundant

Over the last two weeks we have had significant rain storms. Occurring almost daily, it has resulted in significant loss of trees, limbs, and power. One storm with hurricane force winds significantly damaged homes and buildings, ripping off sidings and roofs, leaving water damage that will take weeks, if not months, to recover. 

Personally, I have not suffered any loss. My trees have stood steadfast. My roof has not leaked. My plants are thriving. My grass is in desperate need of a cut. 


I enjoy the rain. I find it soothing and comforting, a balm. The gentle pitter-patter is so calming. Even the harsh rain with roaring thunder and lightning has been a comfort to me at times. 


But, I enjoy the sun too. And sitting outside on my patio amidst my plants and listening to the birds and watching my dogs play and frolic about. 


I got a weather update this morning that said there would be “Abundant sunshine” today. 


It made me smile. “Abundant Sunshine”. 


I had just talked with a friend yesterday and we talked about the idea of abundance. 


Abundance means to have more than you need. 


It made me think on John 10:10b. 

I have come so that they may have life, and may have it abundantly. (NET)


The idea that my life is richer simply because Jesus came and lived and died and rose again, is a beautiful thing. It means that I have more than I need. 


It also made me think on Psalm 46:1. 

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (ESV)


The words “very present” can also be interpreted as abundantly available. A few years ago I sat and meditated on that for a long time. I found that truth to be life giving, comforting, and encouraging. I am never alone. God is ever present, always near, abundantly available. 

Beauty can be found in both the rain and the sunshine. 


But even in times when the sunshine is not abundant, God is. And for that, I am forever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment